Society continues to go through many changes and the many tools we use to communicate today are an example of this. Despite all the change taking place around us, there are timeless principles for creating a meaningful career because they make sense and can be adopted by almost anyone with a strong enough intention to succeed. They may not be new ideas, but these seven career boosting tips continue to provide a powerful fuel for achieving career or just about any other type of goals you may set for yourself.
Career Boosting Tips:
- You are responsible for your career. No surprise here. No longer is lifetime employment the norm or even a likely possibility. You are the motor that gets you where you want to go, so decide what you want, set your course, respond to your ability to make things happen in your life and remember that others may help you along the way, but no one but you is responsible for your career.
- Decide. Seems simple enough but sometimes just making the decision about the type of career you want, need or would enjoy is challenging. By the way, not making a decision is a decision to be continue to be perplexed about this issue. Choose one of your favorite options and pursue it to its natural end. Do research, network with folks in the field, try it out as an intern or part-timer, and see how your choice fits. If the answer is that it doesn’t suit you, then make another decision. This is your life and livelihood we are taking about. When you commit to a career, make sure it works for you on all the levels that matter.
- Put your foot on the gas. You may know people who just go through the motions. They go to work, do just what is required to stay employed, and avoid anything that looks like extra effort. If you really want your career to soar, “put your foot in it,” a phrase that means you should give it your all. Look for ways to add value. Volunteer for special projects. Don’t allow yourself to be satisfied with the status quo, and your efforts will be duly noted.
- Form Strategic Alliances. Interview and shadow successful people on your job. Ask managers their opinion of how you are doing. Ask them to share their rise to prominence so you can get ideas of ways to achieve your career goals. Request the counsel of a mentor – someone you admire whose wisdom can guide your path and help you avoid unnecessary pitfalls.
- Define and socialize your brand. What do you want to be known for? What are your unique attributes? How do you want to be perceived? Like your career and its progress, you are responsible for creating a personal brand that enables you to stand out from everyone else. Do you want to be known for being tough? Should your analytical skills take center stage? Are you a good communicator? Let people know what you bring to the table so that you can be considered when opportunities that require your strengths become available.
- Do well by doing good. Handling your work items is primary, and going above and beyond to support co-workers and the larger community in which your company operates also helps you to stand out. Volunteer for corporate service days, offer to organize office birthday celebrations, agree to work with a summer intern or offer to cover for a co-worker who needs to care for a family or personal matter. Be available when it matters most.
- Maintain a Future orientation. Don’t allow yourself to get stuck in the now. On a regular basis, review your ultimate career goals and share them with mentors and managers. Vision is acting today with the end in mind, and if you keep your destination top of mind, you will be able to grasp opportunities that support forward movement toward your desired destination.
One note to remember: be alert and open to unanticipated opportunities. Sometimes serendipitous events allow you to jumpstart your career in ways you could never imagine.
Practice these 7 timeless career boosting tips for putting your career in gear, and feel free to share ideas and tactics that have worked for you.